Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shopping, Taxi Drivers, and Culture

A lot has happened in the week that I have been here and to keep this post from getting to long I will try to hit only the highlights, though I make no promises. The first few days are somewhat of a blur because I was taking everything in, but at the same time fighting off jet lag. I resembled someone who had come out of a ten year coma who was taking in the changed world around them. From the lavishly designed building to the hectic and crowded roadways, everything was confusing and exciting at the same time.

When we first arrived the next day was the weekend, specifically their holy day, Friday. This allowed us to have one day off before we had any work related events to attend. However, as I mentioned, Friday is their holy day and it also happened to be Ramadan.

For those unfamiliar with Muslim culture, Ramadan in the ninth month of the Islamic calendar ( it is slightly different from the traditional Gregorian calendar most are used to). It is based on the sightings of the moon and last a total of thirty days. We were coming in toward the end of the 30 days, but nonetheless all customs and traditions we still held--- meaning I was not able to drink or eat in public during the daylight hours. Sounds miserable right. It wasn't, honestly, I don't think that I noticed it much. I would get up in the morning and enjoy a nice breakfast in a secluded restaurant in the hotel. Afterwards, I would enjoy the pool or try and sleep some of the jet lag off. By the time I was up and hungry again, the fast was broken and I was able to enjoy a nice dinner. The only thing that it truly affected was my typical schedule. Most Americans, especially on the weekend, will get up and try and go out and get errands done early on so they can come home and enjoy an afternoon of football, baseball, or whatever season sport it happens to be ( I am speaking in generalities here). In Abu Dhabi, the majority of people go out in the evening or night hours. Of course, during Ramadan this is because they are devoting themselves to religious reflection during the day (not to mention nothing is open), but I have noticed that even with Ramadan over people still go out later in the day. The logical reason being the heat during the day, but I am just guessing.

I have not had much of a chance to get out and explore much of the culture since arriving, but I hope to be able to in the future. I figure I am here for at least a year or two, I'm sure in that time I will have a chance to explore some more. What I have been able to get out and see has both surprised and amazed me.

As mentioned much of the city is shut down during the daytime, but comes alive at night. The first few nights here groups of teachers gathered and went out to the various malls and shopping centers around the city.

The malls were large, and filled with a range of shops. They are were you will the how the society has been influenced by western culture. Whether it is the clothes that the woman are wearing or the shops within the corridors, it is not what one would expect to see. Though I knew that Abu Dhabi was a more modern city, I was surprised by the diversity of the people's attire at the mall. There were women will everything but their eyes covered followed by women in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. It all depended. Though I did not have to be overly modest, I tended to try and cover up as much as possible to be respectful of their culture, and to avoid unwanted attention that western wear can produce. The design of the malls are what made them stand out. The building itself and the interior decorating were unique, modern, and colorful. The light fixtures were accented with abstract hanging sculptures, each one different from the next and the fountains were not plain granite or marble, but a colorful mosaic of tiles laid out in an intricate design. They had beauty that was unexpected.

Money is something that you must get used to when traveling out of the country. Learning the denominations of the money was not where I had difficulty. It was the pricing. Not being a math wizard, I use a calculator to balance my checkbook, I cannot convert the values in my head as quickly as most. I will look at a price and freak out, forgetting that to place it in price I am familiar with, I must divide by 3.6. I have started to carry around a calculator, but I still occasionally catch myself thinking that something is really expensive when it isn't. I'm sure eventually it will be natural to think in dirhams, but until then I will have my trusty calculator to help me put things in perspective.

My main mode of transportation has been by taxi. Our hotel is located outside of the actual city so it can get a bit pricey to keep getting into the city, but when it the only reliable option, you do what you must. One of the things about Abu Dhabi that is hard to navigate is the traffic. Not because there is a lot, though there is, but because they are constantly building. To get to the hotel we are staying at (which is only ten months old itself) you have to take a detour that often a cab driver will miss. The one time that I took a taxi by myself was one of those times. I had been here for a while and started to learn at least some of the route home. We came to the point where the construction forces us to turn and go around a different way. However, the taxi driver missed the turn. His solution . . . to put the car in reverse and back up on the highway. I was definitely grateful that is was still Ramadan so the roads were not as busy. I am very glad that I will not actually be living in the city, because I am not sure I would be up to driving. Driving here is definitely its own adventure, but like everything I'm sure over time it will become easier, I'm just not looking forward to the adjustment period in between now and then. : )

One of the main things that I have learned about the culture here is their gracious hospitality. They want you to be comfortable and happy no matter what. The first day of breakfast I was walking around with a bowl of fruit trying to decide what else I wanted. One of the chefs was concerned that I could not find anything to eat and asked me if there was anything he could get for me. There was so may options already that I wasn't sure what wasn't there for him to get, but they are willing to do almost anything to make sure you are happy. It is a nice thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment