Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Stopped Asking Why?

Living in a different culture, there are going to be things that you will need to adjust to. These things are not always bad, as my earlier post titled "Hotel Living" points out, I have nothing to complain about. However, we all get used to things being done a certain way, a certain time, and that takes adjusting when that norm is changed completely.

For example, there a lot of unknowns concerning my transportation to school, my living arrangements, etc. However, I have really come to accept all that. Yes, there is still a part of me that stresses and worries that something is wrong or that I have been forgotten, but that is natural. You cannot exactly ask us to change habits that have been ingrained in us for years, 25 to be exact. The American culture is organized, prompt, and over informed. Here is a lot more laid back. At first that did not work for my color coding, labeling, sorting teacher self. After a week, I have learned to just sit by the pool and let things happen as they may. Maybe I will even get a real tan for once, though I am not holding out hope there either. I know that later down the road culture shock will kick in and I will hate everything that is different. It is something that I cannot escape and because of that, I think I have been able to embrace this change. I am in a beautiful and welcoming country. From the architecture to the people there is something to treasure and I intend to take in as much as I can from them and grow as a person and a professional. There will be bumps in the road I'm sure, both literal and figuratively, but in the end I will come out in one piece-- hopefully. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment