Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

It is No Longer a Vacation

When I got here, I was relaxing by the pool, going to a meeting or two, sleeping in, and otherwise doing vacation like things. In the back of my mind I knew that I was delusional and the world of laziness would end, but it was fun while it lasted.

On Sunday September 19th. I met my new students for the first time. According to the calendar the school year had start on the 15th, but it was only teachers there for those two days. It was right after the end of Ramadan and the Eid celebration so we were not really expecting any students anyway. I know it seems like a really late time to start school, but because of Ramadan we were unable to start earlier. Next year it will be roughly ten days earlier as Ramadan moves up in the year as well. Just thought I would throw that bit of information in there. My school is an all girls school called Moatah. It is Liwa, Abu Dhabi, a beautiful area of large, mountain-sized sand dunes. The school has grades KG through 12. Before Sunday, I had only made it out to the school once before. At that time, they were not prepared for us. We didn't have any answers for them and things were a bit hectic at first. Luckily, our provider swopped in and straightened the confusion out. However, that did not make them any more prepared than they had been before. By the end of the day, the primary teachers had assignments and rooms. I had my assignment, but no room. I wasn't even really sure where to go on Sunday when I came in to teach. Nevertheless, Sunday came I had to be there and ready to teach the 12th grade girls. Of course, expecting the worst, Sunday was actually a fairly pleasant day; hectic and confusing at times, but pleasant.

We were not sure exactly what time we needed to be at the school so we left early. Having not driven the route before we wanted to follow the bus most of the way as well. When the driver of the bus went the wrong way in a traffic circle, I was happy I was driving in the car. The drive is longer than I would prefer, but not so bad that it is unbearable. When you are adjusting the first week of school and getting up again, it can be tough. Thankfully, I had a co-worker who rode in with me to keep my awake and alert. Getting there was easy, but getting back is when we had confusion on the road-a-abouts. Eventually, after a few days we figured out the sequence, but we took a couple wrong turns figuring it out.

Every morning at the school there is an assembly. The first day we had the assembly outside. It wasn't very hot yet and we were under a covered area so it was not unbearable to be out in an abaya. During the assembly the students line up in lines for each of the grades. The gym teachers yells commands and the measure the space between them, stand at attention, or at ease, depending on the command given. The first time seeing it I have to admit I was intimated, but impressed as well. It was something that I did not expect and since I didn't know what was being said, upon seeing the actions I was intrigued. I don't know how else to explain it really. Let me just say that outside of military schools, I could not imagine any American children following orders so precisely the first day of school. Though I did not understand a large majority of the assembly, and still don't, I mainly observed the students. Again, I was surprised to not see a lot of fidgeting, except for some of the younger ones. Despite not knowing exactly what was happening it was a very nice assembly. The played their national anthem and a girl recited the Quran. It was very beautiful. Poems were read, and other comments made, but overall it was formal and casual at the same time. Of course, they introduced us as the new staff which I knew was coming, but was hoping I was wrong. At this point in the day I still had not learned when I was teaching or where. I was surprisingly calm considering this and I am actually quite proud of myself for keeping my wits that day. I might have been lost or blindly following directions for the most part, but in the end it all worked out.

In my school there are only six students in the 12th grade. Five of them were there on Sunday. I was not sure how much English they would know and I had know idea how long I would have them or what the curriculum for the semester was going to be. I had made a few plans, but I was told that they may not be able to complete them because of their English ability. Boy was I surprised. I wish I had trusted my instincts and done what I had planned, but I let others tell me that the students would be weaker and not able. I figured that honesty was the best policy so I sat down with the five of them and had a chat. I was upfront about coming in blind and that I thought we could use the day to get to know each other. Back in the states, that would have never worked. It would have undermined my authority and I would have been up a creek the rest of the year. Then again, having only five students wouldn't ever happen in the first place. To be honest, I just went with my instincts. I did the only thing that I could think to do. We talked, they did a bit of writing, and I got to know them. It also gave me a really good idea of their English ability. They were much better than I was told to expect. Having a conversation went very well.  Each block is 40 minutes and we had some moments of pause here and there, but overall we were talking the entire time. Looking back on it, the fact that we were holding a conversation in English was remarkable. I think the students really seemed to enjoy it as well. Considering they asked me to stay and continue to talk with them after the period ended, I think things went rather well.

All I can do it take it one day at a time and hope that things continue to go as well as they did the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment