Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Santorini and Athens

Santorini is the island that I was looking forward to since I planned the trip back in March. Formally a circle formed by a volcano, it is current a crescent moon shape with an island volcano nearby. The volcano is sleeping, but active. It has three main areas on the island. The northwest end where there is the city of Oia. The southeast end with the black sand beaches and last the middle where the capital Fira is located.

Our villa was located nearby the capital in an area called Firostephani. Built on the cliff side the only way to access our rooms was through a series of steps. Lots and lots of steps. Thankfully, we did not have to take these steps with our luggage, but the steep stairs were exercise enough.Despite the work involved, it was the most luxurious location and room we were in the entire trip. Each of us had our own queen size bed, I had a jacuzzi and shower, we even got a free bottle of wine, which of course was drank. Outside we had a breakfast nook and lounge chairs. I couldn't have asked for anything better. From our hotel villas we had a clear few of the Mediterranean and the volcano. It was such a beautiful and relaxing place that I was ready to look into getting a flight out of Santorini and skipping Athens completely. In the end, logic won out and I made the best of the two days I had, but it is somewhere I will want to go again.

There was nothing officially scheduled for us by our original tour group, but we arranged a tour through the hotel and spent a whole day touring Santorini. It started with a visit to the highest point on the island. The view from there was exquisite. It was a almost cloudless day and you could see for miles. After taking time to get all the bet pictures, we headed back down the cliffs to the port.

An an old style pirate like ship, we made our way across the seas to the volcano. It was much steeper and taller once you got up close. Though considering my only view before that was from up on the cliff side, I guess a up close view it would have seemed larger now matter what. Looking back, I should have picked up a rock or two, but seeing as I didn't know how to fit the things I had already to bring home, rocks would have been difficult to fit--not to mention the weight they would have added. As much as I wanted to explore the volcano and enjoy going around Santorini, I also didn't want to end up exhausted and sore the next day. Traveling is never fun if you are in pain. I went half of the way up the volcano to the first set of craters, but opted out of going the full way up.

After the volcano it was time for a swim! I was excited. It was in the Hot Springs near the volcano, but we had to leave the boat a fair distance away. This made for a nice swim. You could slowly feel the heat increasing in the water as you got closer to the hot springs. They were not as warm as I thought they would be though. I have never swam in hot springs, but I expected it to be much warmer then it was. I guess some are warmer than others maybe. All I know is that my bathing suit, even after repeated washing, is stained a coppery color in some areas from that swim. Something that will always make sure I remember it, not that I won't. For the brief time I was able to be in the water . . . it was one of the highlights for me. Though I have always felt more at home in the water than on land. So explain to me why I am so happy living in the desert? That is a discussion for another time. I am veering of topic.

After the swim we stopped for lunch on a island nearby, once originally part of the circular island of Santorini, called Thissira. Once again, a long winding path was the only way up. I choose to remain down near the port because we had more steps to climb later in Oia. There was the option of a donkey, but I was more concerned with getting my stomach satisfied. It was a nice break after our swim. I was able to take my time and explore the port area a little before it was time to head back to the boat to make our way to the main island.

Oia, was the area I was most looking forward to visiting. Known for it traditional style buildings and charm, people flock the northwest end of the island to see the beautiful sunset. Since we can see the sunset from our villa, I chose to take the time to shop and explore the city a little. To get to the city I took a donkey. It is one experience I don't think I will forget. While others were less well-behaved mine was chill. It was like he could sense my attitude. He kept up with the rest, but just ambled from side to side as he criss-crossed his way up the winding stairs. I am glad that I took the donkey because it is an experience that is unique to the islands. Plus, those steps would have been killer. I found more jewelry, took some great pictures and soaked in the atmosphere. It was a wonderful way to end our time in Santorini.

The next afternoon, it was time to make our way to the port to get on our last ferry to Athens. As was the trend with all the ferries that we had taken since leaving Turkey, this one was late as well. We arrived in Athens very late, where we once again found out that taxis were on strike. Luckily, our agents had gotten us a car, but the guy did not seem pleased that our ferry was late. He wasn't very friendly and then on top of it, dropped us at the wrong hotel at first. We did make it to the right hotel, but by then it was nearly midnight and I just wanted to crash in bed. We had a full day of touring the next day and I already knew it was going to hard to get up.

I did get up though, begrudgingly. So what do you go and see in Athens . . . the historical sites of course. The Acropolis, Olympic Stadium, Zeus' Temple, and various others. Those are the ones that stand out in my mind. As much as I love history, I honestly could have done without Athens. Though I am glad that we went, and I really enjoyed the dinner and show we saw our last night, I am not a city person at heart. Athens was too much of a city, what I mean is that the charm was lost behind graffiti, and traffic. The Plaka area was the only area I felt I could walk around and truly get a feel for the city. I realized that the current politic issues in the country could have had a large effect on the atmosphere of the city, but it just wasn't that highlight of the tour for me. The views from the Acropolis were wonderful and I enjoyed getting to see the detail of the structures.

At night we got our reward for the trouble in Samos in the form a dinner and show. It totally made up for the struggle in Samos, and it was the perfect way to end our tour. I would have to say that it was the best display of culture, new and old. If not for that food of entertainment and good food, I am not sure I would have left feeling positive from Athens.

If I look back at the time spent in Greece, I can smile. It has always been somewhere that I have wanted to visit and I am glad that I was blessed to have the opportunity and means to be able to see that dream fulfilled. Did it meet all my expectations? Yes and no, but even when the expectations were not met, I was pleased with the experience nonetheless. It has given me memories to last many lifetimes (sorry for the cliche) and if given the chance to return, I would glad make my way back to experience it all again.








No comments:

Post a Comment