Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Samos and Mykonos

The Greek part of our adventure got off to a not so great start, but fortunately went uphill from there.

It all started when our ferry decided to take us into a smaller port on Samos instead of the main port. The plan was to stay one night and get on a ferry to Mykonos in the morning. The hotel was less than one kilometer from the port so our travel company did not arrange for anyone to pick us up. That would have been the case if the ferry had come into the correct port. Upon arrival we did not know that there was more than one port. We assumed we were where we needed to be and started walking to try and find our hotel. We walked maybe four blocks down and realized that something was not right. Asking a nice looking man we found were given a double dose of bad news.

Bad news one: We needed to get to Samos Town on the other side of the island.
Bad news two: The taxis were on strike so our only option was a bus. The bus station was up the hill a few streets.

Despite this bad news, which of course I didn't take so well at the time, I guess things could have been worse. We got to the bus stop, paid the cheap fare and made ourselves comfortable as we wove our way across the island. It was actually quite pretty as the sun was setting, but at the time I was tired and pissed off. I had two very heavy bags and the bus driver did not even help us get them in and out of the bus. Secondly, he refused to travel just a little further down the road to get us closer to our hotel. Dragging our luggage behind us, we weaved in and out of pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. First passes the hotel and making it all the way to the port, we backtracked and found the place we were looking for. Apparently, the ferries were having all sorts of problem that day because when we arrived we were fed the next piece of bad news.

The ferry we were supposed to leave on the next morning was in an accident and it was unsure whether it would be running the next day.

Isn't the saying that bad things happen in threes. At that point I was pissed, tired, and just ready to get some food and rest. After getting our bags into the room we headed to the roof for a lovely late dinner. I got to eat a delicious salad and PORK. I love Greek Salad! It was a nice end to a very long afternoon and evening. Though thinking back, I am not sure I was as nonchalant about the whole thing at the time. Looking back at it now, traveling always has its bumps and this one got us an extra treat our last night in Athens. I still enjoyed the trip, bumps and all, that is the part that matters.

The next morning, well rested and fed, we checked out and dragged ourselves the one block to the port. After sitting around in an empty port for a while, I decided to check in with the offices nearby. Though we were told the night before by our agents that the ferry was running as usual, that was not exactly the case. It was delayed--significantly. It was supposed to leave at 9AM and didn't leave until closer to 3PM. It worked out better in the end because that allowed us to explore Samos while we waited. The best part was being able to dump our bags in the travel office so we were able to walk around more freely. After some lunch, and wandering through shops, we were able to waste enough time until the ferry arrived.

Mykonos' arrival went much smoother than the one to Samos. Things were looking up. Though arriving much later than we planned, we had someone waiting for us, and he helped with our bags.

The Princess of Mykonos Hotel was more an elaborate maze of suites and villa like rooms. Now I am not saying that is a bad thing, but the name hotel doesn't have the same meaning on the Greek Islands. We had a beautiful room with a sea view, its own balcony--not that we were there to use it--and comfortable plush bed. It was the first time we were in a room that was bigger than a closet. We had space to move around and spread out a little. Too bad we were not staying that long. We enjoyed our time while we had it though.

After a bus into town and a short walk through the labyrinth of streets, we found the bus to the beaches. Not what I expected, but then I am not sure I expected anything but beautiful blue seas. That much I had. The only thing I didn't expect was the cold water. I wasn't able to stay in the water very long. Maybe five minutes at the most. The sand was less sand and more pebbles, but there were comfortable lounge chairs that I was able to rent and just lay back and enjoy the nice weather.

There is a nice charm to the Greek Islands. Each one is different, but have similar aspects. For one, it is laid back and stress free. As I wandered the streets I had no idea where I was going, but I just kept walking anyway. Took a turn here, another there, and in the end I was able to get where I wanted to go each time. I am not sure I would say that Mykonos was my favorite of the island, but there wasn't one I didn't like. It would have been nice to spend some more time there and explore some of the other beaches and town some more, but what can you do. You just have to make the best of the time you have, and that is what I did. The two relaxing days passed quickly and it was time to drag our bags back to the port to skim across the water once again towards Santorini.













No comments:

Post a Comment