Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Istanbul is Constantinople and . . . well you know how it goes

As excited as I was about my upcoming adventures and the eventual arrival at home, I struggled to pack. I just wasn't motivated. It involved too many decisions that I didn't have the energy to deal with. Though my stress factor was much lower than it has been in years, by the end of the school year I was still worn out and ready to sit around and do nothing for a while. I didn't have much time to accomplish this, thus the last minute packing, which I believe is the result of why I had too much baggage. Well that and I cannot buy just one thing for friends and family, I must buy everything I see.

July 16th I dragged myself out of the Four Points Sheraton in Dubai and made my way to the International Airport. The Dubai International Airport is not one of my favorites. It is broken up into three terminals. I knew which we needed for the flight, but finding where to drop the rental car was a little more complicated. It is only after you exit to go to the terminal of choice that you actual see signs that tell you the various choices that you have at that particular terminal. I had planned ahead and left myself with plenty of time to get to the gate so it all worked out fine in the end. After paying a small fortune in baggage fees, I boarded my flight to Istanbul, the first stop on my fourteen day vacation.

The airport in Istanbul was fairly easy to navigate, though I have to say I was glad to have someone waiting for us on the other side. Though that didn't necessarily mean that everything would work out well once we got to the hotel.

Upon arrival at the Lady Diana Hotel, we were told that there is a problem with our room and it would not be ready until the following day. However, just around the corner (or up the hill two blocks and down another two) was a room for us to stay the night. After a day of travel, I just wanted a shower and a bed. However, I am glad that the first hotel was not where we were staying the entire three days.

It was the size of my closet back in Liwa, and my only closet is a four door wardrobe. I am still not sure how we fit in there with all our luggage. Two inches taller and I would not have fit in the shower, though not a terrible loss since it either froze me out or scalded my skin. The bed was small, but plenty comfortable and I got a good night's sleep so that is all that really matters in the end.

I am struggling to sift through the details of my memory to give you the most poignant details.  I guess I will breezily state that the Lady Diana was better than the hotel that first night. As tired as Susan, my travel partner, and I were we needed to venture out to find dinner. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with this city.

As we walked along the cobblestone streets and marble sidewalks in the fading sunlight, I tried to take in everything around me. From the street vendors to the ruins tucked behind overgrown greenery, each step brought new charm to the city. Living in the UAE for the past year, I had seen how people can try and live in a modern world while holding on to their old world charm. However, I never really felt it the way I did that first night in Istanbul. The old relics are placed right in the heart of a modern, thriving city. It is hard to explain that it is that made me truly fall in love so easily. I mean you still have the tourist traps and the men who try to peddle things on the street, but blocking out those elements, I was able to just enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.

Good food, good people, good times. That would be the best way to describe those short three days in Istanbul. I wish we could have had more time, we just barely scratched the surface of the city, but I am glad that I got to spend even some time there.

As beautiful as and Bosphorus cruise was, I have to say that my favorite thing in Istanbul was the Hagga Sophia. It is also known as the Saint Sophia. It is one of the few places in the world were you can see the influence of Christianity and Islam diplayed together. Built as a church and then later used as a mosque, the two religions are both on display in this beautiful old building. I could have spent hours on end taking in all that Hagga Sophia has to offer, but unfortunately, there were other things on our list to due that day.

The Blue Mosque was beautiful, but to me just another mosque. Once you have seen the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, no other mosque compares in beauty, but it was still nice to get to see it. Though I am not sure why it is named as such, is still a mystery to me.

As mentioned earlier, I was able to go on a cruise down the Bosphorus, the body of water that connects the Black Sea and Istanbul. While cruising the water, I was able to take in elaborate houses, old palaces, and some forts as well. It was a beautiful day and made me wish even more that it was not the last day in the city, but alas after three days I had to move on to another part of Turkey.


 Blue Mosque
 Hagga Sophia


 Inside Hagga Sophia






























No comments:

Post a Comment