Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

WOMAD in Abu Dhabi 2011

This weekend started out as a typically boring weekend. I was going to go into Abu Dhabi to get some shopping done, and then spend my Saturday relaxing and cleaning. However, as I waited until my traveling party was ready, I was online talking with a friend. She mentioned a festival happening in Abu Dhabi this weekend. Me being oblivious to what is going on half the time, I didn't know a thing about it. She invited me to go, we worked out the details, and we met up in Abu Dhabi. It was a spur of the moment thing, which I think came at a perfect time.

Going back to work after a nice break was hard. It isn't that I don't like work, but having to get up early, and the warmer temperatures, had me feeling very rundown by the end of the week. This little moment of spontaneity was just what I needed.

WOMAD stands for World of Music and Dance Festival. On the sands of the Corniche, bands from around the world rocked out to an eclectic crowd. My friends and I did not say for the whole thing, but what I did get to see, was well worth the long hours spent in Abu Dhabi. We arrived in time to hear the last performance of a Russian Quartet called the "Terem Quartet". The music was lively and it wasn't ear splitting or anything, but I would not say it got me  moving. The festival was set up so that we had different stages, and they were set quite a distance apart. Therefore, the next performance we saw was on the big screen. Nonetheless, you could feel the Honduran energy as "Aurelio" performed. The last performance that we stayed to see was Toumani Diabate from Mali. It was a perfect end to the whole thing. Standing in the sand, with a nice cool breeze rolling through my hair, I listened to the music. It was nice to get to hear and see musicians that I would not have normally gone searching for on my iTunes. I wouldn't call it the concert of my life, but it was nice to get out with some friends, and be out of Liwa for a little while. Maybe next year, I will be better prepared to go and will be able to enjoy it more.

The rest of my weekend, went as planned. I did a major overhaul cleaning of the apartment, and got to relax and read for the remainder of the day. Overall, a good reviving weekend. I think I am ready for another week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment