Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Stress-- It's All Relative

For those who know me, or possibly even met me early on in my overseas experience, know that I was uptight, controlling, and got stressed out over just about anything. Things have changed. I still can be a bit controlling, but I am certainly better than I was and am getting better the longer I am here. I don't stress as much, if ever, anymore. I am sure I mentioned this all before, but I bring it up again because of an upcoming event at school.

You see, as part of ADEC's vision, they have an outside agency come and see how things are going in the schools around the emirate. They have been doing so for a while now, but being out in the Western Region we are, of course, the last stop. We officially got word that the group, referred to as "Tribal", is coming to our school on Tuesday and Wednesday. We know that they will look at the school as a whole and may or may not come to classes, may or may not want to talk to us, etc. Now under normal circumstances it is perfectly logical for everyone at the school to be freaked out. However, these are far from normal.

When they arrive we don't know who, what, where, when, why, or how they are going to evaluate us. We just know that they are coming. We have a set of things to do to make sure we are prepared, but we can't possibly know everything. Here is where it gets weirder. I don't care. Let me rephrase that, I care, but I'm not worried or stressed. I know that the impact I am making on these student's language development may not always show up in tangible evidence, but I am doing what I can. I am putting together what I can, and things will happen they way they happen. Just as I cannot predict whether we will have another sandstorm tomorrow, preventing me from enjoying some time at the pool, I cannot predict what Tribal will like or dislike. Stressing over things that I have no control over used to just end up adding extra stress to my life. The thing that makes these strange isn't that I am reacting the opposite manner that I would have last year, but that everyone around me is freaked and I am the calm reassuring voice. I feel like everyone is holding their breathe and it is beginning to be a bit suffocating.

I really don't know why or how this change came about. I will be honest and admit that I don't think I live a stress free life, but I have definitely come a long way. The next few days will be spent in teaching and preparation for the visit to come and God only knows how that day will unfold. I for one just want to it done so things can calm down again. I miss my social break times with my colleagues drinking tea (well they drink tea, I have my water) and sharing stories and I will certainly not miss the hurried pacing and stacks of paperwork this visit has unveiled.

I don't know what this visit will mean for the school or my job, but if I worry about all the unknowns, it doesn't mean I will get the answers any faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment