Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Culture Shock Funk

I know at this point in my experience culture shock should be done. I should be well adjusted and living life to the fullest. For the most part I am, however, there is that small part of me that is resisting.

One of the phases I should have gone through long ago was "anger and frustration." I think that is starting to hit now. Everything seems to rub me the wrong way and I find myself getting frustrated over things that I thought I loved about this culture. I am not saying that I want to leave and never come back, but I need to find a way to bring myself out of this funk.

Hopefully, the Arabic classes that I am starting tomorrow will help me feel better about not knowing enough Arabic yet. At this point, I feel like I should at least know some of what the students are saying when they are talking in Arabic, but I am still having to rely on body language and it is frustrating. They can tell me whatever they want and I wouldn't know the difference. Insa'allah that will slowly begin to change with lessons and practice.

As for the lack of communication and organization from my "bosses", well I am not sure how I am going to resolve that one. It was stressful in the beginning and then I adjusted and just came to accept it. However, now it pushes me to eat pounds of chocolate to keep from saying or doing something stupid. It never even bothered my this much in the beginning, but now I find myself asking, "What the f***?"

I know this all seems a bit dramatic and I am sure that I am making a bigger deal out of this than it seems. I just want to feel at home again. I find myself feeling like an outsider again, and that feeling is never fun. I guess the only thing that I can do for now, is put my head down and push through. I know on the other side of this wall is a brighter happy me, I have been there, I  just have to keep pushing until to leave all this funk behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment