Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Abroad

The holiday season has officially started and I have to say that it is a little sad being away from home. I am used to being with family during Thanksgiving and Christmas and that isn't going to happen this year. I am having fun and I have new friends that are like a family to me over here . . . but it isn't the same. Plus, I almost feel guilty for not missing them more. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes things are so good and I am content that guilt creeps in. Comes with the being raised Catholic thing I guess.

Anyway, we decided that we needed to have a Thanksgiving celebration among the western teachers out here in Liwa. You see being out of the city at times like this can cause problems. Nothing big, but it still requires some advance planning. Luckily, we had three loving people who were willing to do the hard part of shopping in Abu Dhabi for necessary supplies. Funny thing is, the none of the three are Americans. They did really good though. They got everything we needed and what we couldn't find, we improvised.

I was in charge of the sweet potatoes. I thought it is my mom's speciality ever year so maybe I wouldn't screw it up. At the least I could channel her and hopefully come up with something good. Well, it worked. The only weird part was the color of the potatoes. We all know yams. They are bright orange and taste delicious. Well,  sweet potatoes here--at least the only ones that we could find--are white inside. It was a little strange. In the end, they tasted really good and there was nothing left for the next day so that is really good sign. I am happy things turned out well. I do have to thank Mom for the directions and good vibes that she sent this way.

I have to say that the Liwa crew can cook. Forget going to the hotels for buffets and fancy dinners. We are setting up potlucks from now on. Everything we had was good from the dinner to the dessert. We had all the traditional fixings of course. Even my chocolate mousse. Overall, it was a great day to spend with some new friends. Life can never stay the same forever and I think that is something that I am trying to remember when adjusting to holidays away from home. Though we all love to be with our families during the holidays, sometimes a Skype call is all you can manage and you look forward to the day when you will get to spend time together and enjoy that time when it comes.

Before I get too sappy and cliche (too late really) I am going to cut this blog short. Until my next adventure . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment