Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Holidays

I cannot lie. I miss the holiday spirit that will be starting to infect the students, shops, radio, etc. in the states. Though it typically drives me nuts that Christmas memorabilia is out in stores by Halloween. . . not seeing any is a little sad. All that aside though, I am enjoying my time here in the UAE. It is a new experience for me each an everyday. It is actually "holiday" season here now as well. Sort of.

The upcoming holiday is Eid Al Adha-- "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid". It is celebrated on the 10th day of the 12th month in the Islamic calendar. During this month the Hajj-- the pilgrimage to Mecca-- also occurs. The whole month is spent in honoring this holiday and Ibrihims' sacrifice to Allah. It becomes a very important time to spend with friends and family. Although presents are given, the focus becomes more about charity work and sacrifice to Allah. All this does not mean somberness, but rather religious celebration. I personally am looking forward to watching the Hajj on TV to see what it is all about.

They don't have the same energy and spirit that holidays back home can get. Sure the students get excited about traveling to other parts of the emirate, but when you live in the desert, getting out of Liwa is a big deal, holiday or not. Teachers and student alike are happy about not having to work for a full week, but the pizzaz that accompanies the holiday season is missing. Rather it is not missing, but I think that I am not feeling as connected and therefore in touch with the spirit of the holiday. It could also possibly be due to the fact that their holidays here have not become completely overrun by the commercial industry. Though I am given warm wishes from students and colleagues and a sign may be posted around the city, it is not thrown in your face at every turn. It is national and yet very intimate at the same time.

I am using this time to travel with some of my new friends. We aren't going very far, but I am still excited. We are heading to Dubai. I am interested to see what the differences and similarities are between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I would love to swim with the dolphins in Dolphin Bay, but I am trying to save up for my winter trip to Egypt. There is plenty else to do, so I know that I will not get bored. Other than the few days in Dubai I plan to relax. Catch up on sleep, my workouts, and just enjoying being able to sit around a little. Maybe I will go dune bashing and do a safari, but we will wait and see. Whatever happens, happens. I am happy to get a break and time to explore. Anything else, just adds more to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment