Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

National Day-2010

On December 2nd 1971 the UAE was formed. Each year the country celebrates what they call National Day. This year marked year 39. I thought America was young, and it is, but this country is a baby. The major difference is the richness of the culture here.

The celebration and show of pride puts our Fourth of July to shame. Two weeks before the week of National Day each city starts placing flags and lights around the city. Each light post proudly holds a flag, each tree a set of lights. The week of National Day the lights are lit. They decorate the streets in sparkles of color. They have fireworks all week long and decorate their cars with shades of black, red, and green. Like I said, the amount of pride shown during the week prior and days after are amazing. Even the Arab expats living in this country seem to have a sense of pride for what the UAE has been able to accomplish in so few years.

The schools hold celebrations as well. It is a little unfair to compare this to the American holiday since we are not in school, but I think it is worth mentioning. The celebration honors not only their prosperous future, but the past. They honor the people and traditions that brought them to where they are today. I think that many cultures today forget what it took to get where we are now.

I am going to get off the soapbox and get back to the real purpose of this entry. My days off were uneventful for the most part. I had fun though. Thursday was a BBQ at Julie's. It was nice to catch up with all the people from MZ. I am always happy to have good food and not have to cook as well. Friday Hannah and I hung out. It was one of the easiest babysitting jobs I have had. Saturday was the best part for me. We went up to Al Mirfa and went to the beach!

I still find it hard to believe that I was at the beach in December. More so than just being there was the fact that I actually got in and went swimming. I could really get used to that. The water is extremely salty in the gulf and I think it helped to clear my sinuses as well. A trip to the beach was what I needed. It came just at the right time. With all the National Day decorations and celebrations, I was starting to feel a little homesick. This is the first time that I am away for the holidays, and with all the celebration happening, it was hard to forget the approaching holidays. Homesickness is a part of culture shock, so I was expecting it at some point, but it didn't make it any easier to ignore or deal with. Thankfully, I had one more day to relax and get back to the real world. Cleaning, laundry, that sort of thing. Though I would not have said no to another day or two of rest and relaxation.

Overall, National Day was nice. I am not sure what I expected, but a nice, calm, long weekend was just fine with me. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to head into Abu Dhabi for the big celebrations.

2 comments:

  1. Wish there was something I could do for your homesickness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't real homesickness, just a small dose right in time for the holidays. I'm sure I will work it out. I just have to stay busy. It would be crazy if I didn't miss home at some point being here the first year. Kind of glad it has happened so I can deal with it and continue to enjoy this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete