Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Egypt- Cairo




Oh Cairo, how do I explain your charm, your traffic, your excitement?

On cue, I woke as we entered the city of Cairo. Whether it was the anticipation of being close, or the blaring horns from the the cars, I can't be sure. I thought I had been in some crazy traffic situations before, I was wrong. As you drive through Cairo you are not sure how many lanes of traffic there are. Sometimes it is three, sometimes four or five. It all depends on what time it is, how many vehicles are on the road, and how big those vehicles are. It was crazy. Definitely not somewhere I would ever drive. Crossing the street as a pedestrian is not much better. There are little to no crosswalks. You just start walking and hope that they stop because there are not stoplights to help you cross. We figured out that if you follow children then you are safe. They at least slow down for the children.

Another thing that I noted about the traffic was the type of cars on the road. I think that Cairo is where all cars go to die. I saw types of cars that I did not think even ran in this decade. Yet, there they were in Cairo, beat up and putting their way down the road.

Cairo has a lot of similarities to New York. Both have areas you don't want to be caught in at night, they are dirty, as cities tend to be, crowded, and definite areas of upper class and lower class living. These were all my first impressions of Cairo, but once I had been there for a few hours and adjusted to the hectic weaving of traffic, I start to see the unique charm of the city.

There are few places in the world that you are able to wake up in an apartment and look out at the pyramids. They stand tall and majestically in the middle of this bustling metropolis. Though the people are many, they are diverse. Though many are out to get your money, overall they are very friendly and happy to welcome visitors to their country.

Our first night in Cairo we went to the Giza platform to see the Light and Sound show. To be honest, it was dated and a little cheesy, but it was my first glimpse of the pyramids and sphinx so I didn't care much. Nestled under a blanket because it was quite cold at night, I listened to the history of the pyramids and sphinx as different colored lights lit the ancient structures. I left thinking to myself, "Did I really just sit in front of the sphinx?" I don't think it truly sank in until I was there in the daylight the next day. I am jumping ahead though, so let me go back to the beginning of our full day of touring.

Leaving early in the morning, our first stop was the Cairo Museum. Not really a museum person personally, I knew it would be interesting, but not the highlight of my day. I think I may have enjoyed the museum a little more if it was not so crowded. However, on Wednesday it closes early so everyone goes early. I could barely move without running into other tour groups, and they would rush past you, pushing you into a monument to make sure they did not lose their group. Our group was a little more low key. We knew where we were to meet so we wandered somewhat together, but without worries. The museum is packed with more than you take in at one time. Statues, tablets, sarcophaguses, are stuffed in every corner possible. It is a twisted maze between monuments and artifacts of every imaginable shape and size. I think what sticks with me the most is the detail of the artifacts. From the jewelry to the paintings and carvings-- they were done with what we would consider "simple tools". They are some of the most beautiful an artfully crafted pieces done with so much skill.

We left the museum and made a short stop at a papyrus museum. It was more a store, but they did a demonstration of how they make the paper before you were able to shop. I say that it was a short stop, but in reality we ended up shopping for  quite a while. It was the first place that I spent money and I spent quiet a bit. The pieces were so beautifully done it was hard to not want to take one of everything, so I think I did well with the ones that I chose. After spending our money, it was off to the Pyramids and Sphinx.

As I mentioned earlier, this was the highlight of Cairo for me. In my head was a running mantra of "I'm really here, I made it to see the Pyramids!" As with most things, they are bigger in person. Driving up to them they did not seem all that, but once you got under them. Wow! Now, I am not one who believes in the alien theories, but I do have to wonder how in the world they managed to build these magnificent structures. The Sphinx was carved out of stone so I can understand that a little easier. The pyramids . . . the stones are massive! I know that they were a brilliant culture so I am sure they found a way, but looking at it now and knowing what they had, it is hard to fathom. The best part of the pyramids was my camel ride! I had been on a camel sure, for a minute at most, but I wanted to really ride a camel. I thought what better place than the pyramids.

If you follow the road up, you reach an area where you get a panoramic view of the three pyramids. There are vendors and then tons of horses and camels you can ride. I got to ride 007. Yes, that really was his name and it was fitting. He didn't like being at the back of the group and constantly tried to get ahead to be the leader. It didn't work, but I give him credit for trying. Getting up and down was a little scary, but it was so much fun. You are really high up on a camel. We headed off the hill and then came around the corner and could see the pyramids. A chill went all the way up my spine when I realized that this is how they would have travelled then. I got to see views of the pyramids that you only got if you went on a ride. It was amazing to see the pyramids and Cairo stretched out own below them. I felt a sense of peace and harmony with everything at that moment. I know that sounds weird, but I don't know how else to explain fulfilling a dream that you have had, that you never really thought would happen. I can't stop smiling as I sit and write about the experience.

The thrill continued as we heading back down the hill to visit the Sphinx up close and personal. I thought it was amazing seeing her the night before, but seeing her as the sun set with the pyramids in the background was breathtaking. It is sadden that Napoleon had to use her for target practice-- though he did have a small man complex, so I am sure that had something to do with it. The Sphinx is the size of a pyramid. It does seem like it is guarding the pyramids. This theory sinks in even more when you think it was what got shot at and attacked and the pyramids remain unharmed, for the most part. Though I could not deny that I was a tourist, I did at least refuse one tourist habit. I didn't get a picture of me "kissing" the Sphinx. I just stood in front, giving her the respect I feel she deserves. I wish we had more time to take in the scene, but the sun was setting so the guards kicked us out. They don't want any tourist falling off one of the cliff sides, it would be bad publicity.

After so much you would think, what else is left. SHOPPING! The Khan El Khalili Bazers have everything you could want. The first visit that night we only got to see a taste of the stores. From clothes and trinkets to food and spices, they really have everything. Even a husband if you are so inclined. ; ) They were a little overwhelming at first and it was annoying being called at left and right, but once you learned how to work it, things went more smoothly. Plus, it helped that we had a security guard who was packing some heavy duty heat. If anyone got too annoying, he would pull back his jacket and we moved alone with ease. It was nice, I felt protected, and it made the experience easier. Though I think trying to wrangle a bunch of women around a crowded shopping area took its toll on him. A few times you could read the stress on his face, almost as if it said, "I don't get paid enough for this." He loved it though. We had fun for a few hours, but knew we would definitely return tomorrow.

The next day was a free day. We decide to sleep in a little and head out to the bazars again. The tour company was kind enough to get us transportation so that helped a lot. We spent four hours shopping. Yes, I said four. It was crazy. A lot of money was spent. Deals were made. Julie is a fantastic bargainer. With her you are not paying more than you have to. Though I have to say I did a good job bargaining myself. I found presents for myself, and family as well. They will have to wait until summer to get them, but I am happy that I found something. It was really interesting navigating the streets. Sometimes they would get so narrow that you had to walk single file, because even doing that it was one way. No one would be able to come up the other way. Then other areas were wide open and you could walk five across. A lot of the shops sold the same items, so it was easy to pit them against each other to get the best deal. Being blonde and American I got plenty of marriage offers as well. The previous night we heard some of the "best" pick up lines ever. Some were even new to me, it was quite amusing. Overall, a very unique shopping experience, but I would take the bazars over a mall any day. They were alive with culture and life, something you cannot get at a mall.

After shopping we were ready to head home, but we had arranged to eat lunch on the Nile. It was a nice lunch and with a wonderful view. Though I have to admit that the Nile is not that impressive in Cairo. It seems like just another river. I am sure if I took a cruise there might be areas more captivating, but I am still glad to have gotten to see it.

That night some of us went to the Cairo Ballet. We got to see the swanky side of Cairo and enjoy a performance of The Nutcracker. I had never seen it live, at least not that I can remember, so it was a very nice treat for me. It was a really nice way to end our last day in Cairo.

No comments:

Post a Comment