Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Desert Lessons

Since arriving in the desert I have learned a few, sometimes humorous, lessons.

Lesson One: When you think you have drunk enough water, drink another bottle. You don't feel the thirst all the time, but your body goes through so much water out here. I drink at least 5 or 6 bottles a day and I still feel like I am not drinking enough. I guess it is something you get used to after a while because it seems like the native teachers never drink anything, except tea. I will have to get back to you on this one.

Lesson Two: Roundabouts are confusing if you are not paying attention. Too many exits can lead to getting lost. Luckily, you can just get back on the roundabout and go around again.

Lesson Three: No traffic way out here and if there is . . . just drive on the side of the road or in the sand. People still drive crazy high speeds, but there are not as many on the road in this area. The only time traffic is stopped is when the camels are coming or going from the track.

Lesson Four: Animals in the desert have strange eating habits. I will leave the rest up to your imagination and save you the details.

Lesson Five: It can get humid in the desert. Fog and humidity do exist. How and why? I will have to get back to you. Though still not as bad as the city. Driving in it can be interesting, but is possible. Slow and steady isn't that how the phrase goes.

Lesson Six: Sometimes the people you meet half a world away remind you of those you left behind. My new group of friends makes me feel at home. One person who I became fast friends with is Juli . . . weird coincidence or just wierd? Sometimes I wonder if these things are planned in advance for entertainment. Yes, I am talking about God having a sense of humor.

Lesson Seven: You can get past a language barrier and hold a conversation with someone, you just have to put forth the effort.

Lesson Eight: When reading a menu, you have to remember where you are. Chili here means the actual chili pepper and thinking otherwise can lead to an interesting experience. I didn't know that you lips could burn from eat something too hot.

Lesson Nine: There is no point in washing the car very often. As long as the windows are clean that is all you need. The sand is going to cover it within in day anyway.

That is all that I have for now. I am sure there will be more to come, but that is the beauty of an experience like this, you never know what you are going to learn next.

No comments:

Post a Comment