Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Moving In . . . Settling In

It feels real! I have a UAE Driver's License, Emirati ID card is in progress, and I have my very own apartment. Getting there was long and sometimes stressful, but I am finally settled--for the most part--and ready to explore my new home.

I had to take a day off to get the driver's license because it is a multiple step process. First, you must apply for your Emirati ID card. I am not entirely sure why I have to have one, but I was told I need it for everything. I guess we shall see. Once you get the application typed and then get fingerprinted you get a receipt. The card takes a month. The receipt is what allows you continue the process of getting the license. Step Two, get your license translated into Arabic. This step would be less difficult if there were places to get this done other than Abu Dhabi. You go into the heart of the city and wander around a few blocks of shops and find a translator. This part was actually very smooth for me. It was the ID that was rough. Afterwards, you head back out of the city to turn in everything and pay for your license. Within about five minutes, you leave with your UAE license. As I sit a write this process it sounds so simple and straight forward. It was a long day though, not to mention expensive! (570 dirhams!!) I'm glad that it is a process that has to be completed only once.

Thankfully, I have not had to take a day off for the moving process--- at least not a full day. Here is the trouble with moving. You, of course, need water and electricity accounts set up. Simple enough to go the office and get that done. Well, it is when you have hours of work that you can go. The office opens at 8 and closes by 3. As a teacher, I am at work all day! NOTHING ever seems to be open when you need it. Solution, go in late or leave early. The principals are very understanding about this---most have been through it themselves.

Then, there is furniture. Cannot really move in until you have a bed, but you need to clean and organize and such. It was some late nights last week and I am glad to say that I can sleep in some tomorrow morning. It will be nice not having to travel an hour to and from work. Though I am not sure what I am going to do with all my free time. Maybe I will get really skinny. ; ) The furniture process is almost done. My wardrobe didn't have the hardware to be installed,  but otherwise everything else is clean and shiny!

I have more space than one person needs, but I am not complaining. I still sometimes cannot believe the experience that I have been lucky enough to be a part of. Though to be honest, I have hit phase two of culture shock. The culture here is so different that a lot of the time I feel like I am living on another planet. I ask myself, why is this so difficult? Why can't I do this? Why aren't they open later? I vent and steam for a little while, then find something to do and all is well. My school and the people here help keep me sane. There are times that I don't know what I would do without good friends around. I know I wouldn't have a working washer or stove---that is for sure.

Slowly, things will fall into place. Schway, schway---words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment