Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Egyptian Revolution-- History Is Made

It was about 20 days ago that I first heard the people of Egypt had revoted against their current President. They were sick of the corruption and greed of the government, while they were stuck in poverty. Now, I do not pretend to act like I understand the circumstances that unfolded in Egypt or what truly led these people to revolt. Not everyone wanted change. Some of the colleagues I work with were among the few that supported Mubarak. I am not a citizen of their country so I cannot being to unravel the fact and fiction in the news and truly know what life is like in Egypt.
What I do understand is this  . . .

Egypt was done with President Mubarak, after a thirty year rule, the people wanted something new. They wanted democracy. No more corruption and poverty, real elections, a better life for all. They revolted against the government with protests, that for the most part remained peaceful. At times, things escalated and lives were tragically lost, but in the end the people's voice was heard. Mubarak resigned. With relatively little bloodshed a revolution occurred in the birth place of civilization.

I don't know if this will be in the best interest of the Egyptians, and I have no idea what this means now. The military is in charge, and there is a lot that needs to be done to change things in this country. As I said before, most are happy, others might not be. However, I do find it uplifting to see people come together to work toward a common goal and succeed. For their voices to be heard and change to come.

This news reverberated around the world. President Obama intervened and tried to help resolve the situation. For many days, everyone watched and waiting to see the fate of Egypt unfold. For a while it seemed as if there was not an end in sight, at least not a peaceful one. Then, Friday, February 11, 2011 it all ended. I found myself stunned as I watched the celebrations on the news. Being in the UAE, I felt it more than I would have at home because I watched my colleagues fret over the fate of loved ones in their home country and understood how this was a life changing and emotional time for the Egyptian people.

It technically isn't over yet, but I for one agree with the newscaster, history has been made and the Arab world may never be the same. I just hope those qualities that make them such a wonderful group of people, their hospitality and care-free attitudes, do not disappear as the world they have lived in changes. I guess that is the nature of the world though, everything changes. All we can do is hope that the change is for the better.

2 comments:

  1. Update: The exiled Mubarak is coming to UAE. Apparently we are going to put him in a nice furnished palace that is all ready to go. He will be in Al Ain, where I plan to go for my three day weekend . . . this might be a more interesting weekend then I initially had in mind. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scratch that . . . in a hospital vowing he will die in Egypt, who knows . . . this whole thing is such a mess at times.

    ReplyDelete