Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Humanity's Shining Light

A few Sundays ago, I heard the tragic death of a young woman in Saudi Arabia. While walking to the park, this young woman and her husband were struck by a car. They were newly married and expecting a baby. It is hard to fathom why something like this would happen, but if we focus to much on the why, we lose faith and stop truly living our lives.

This young woman I have told you about was the sister-in-law of one of my co-workers. In the Arabic culture, family is everything. Though I have not known my co-worker that long and we may not hang out on the weekends, as she shook with grief, my eyes too filled with tears.

Since I am of a different faith, I was not sure of the protocol, not even sure what to do to help. I expected to give my condolences and continue on my day. However, they welcomed me as an equal--someone who could be there for her colleague in a time of need. Even when we moved to the mosque at the school, they wanted me to come and sit with her. My hair uncovered, my Christian heart . . . none of this mattered. Differences were forgotten and I was deeply touched. We came together to support our friend and colleague as she struggled to accept what had happened. I know that people often come together and support each other during tough times, but still being the outsider in many ways, I was moved by their willingness to include me at such a private and difficult time.

That same evening a bus full of teachers, including myself, arrived at her home to sit with her. After greetings, everyone sat and prayed or drank tea. At times, the silence was oppressive and yet I could feel how each of the women in the room were connected--in spirit. We all had the same basic wish, to ease her pain and just be there during this time. Had it not been Sunday night, we may have remained longer, but we all had things in our own lives to take care of. The farewell was wrought with emotions as each of us tried to convey our deepest sympathy to our friend and colleague.

As tragic as the circumstances are, this situation has reminded me of the humanity people are capable of. Our efforts went beyond origin and religion and we came together as one. Though I wish something like this would have occurred under different circumstances, it was still uplifting to see so many different people come together for one purpose.

It seems it takes tragedy to remind us how alike we truly are. It is in tragedy that humanity shines the brightest. When are we going to learn to let it shine in times of joy and peace? Why must it only be a light in the dark?

No comments:

Post a Comment