Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Reflections

I was killing time on the internet and decided to look and see when the last time I wrote an entry. Considering how consistently I wrote my first year here in the UAE, I was appalled that I had not wrote anything of note.

Two things occurred to me.

The fairly obvious thing is, that things do not surprise me as much anymore. However, the sadder reality is that I am not doing anything exciting enough worth documenting. When you first move somewhere you want to explore as much as possible. You go out on the weekends to all the new places that are part of your new home. I know that is what I did.

Coming back for another year, I haven't done any exploring. I have still only been to three of the seven emirates. I have not been to Oman of Qatar which are right next door. I keep telling myself that I will get there someday, but it has yet to happen. For better or worse, Liwa has become home for now. I know my way around and have explored the beautiful, yet limited, sites to see.

Recently, a friend got a fancy camera. What I mean by that is he got a Digital SLR. Explaining to him when I use mine, how to use his, and the quality of pictures, has made me want to get back out and explore more. Go to the dune and try to climb to the top this time. Find a local with a buggy to ride the sand dunes. Go up the mountains in Al Ain. Go to some of the other costal towns in Abu Dhabi.

I don't know how much of this to do list I will be able to accomplish. Though life is pretty laid back here, it isn't like I can take off work to explore. I still have to work and study. However, what I do know is whether or not I manage to see all these places and do all these things-- I need appreciate what I have while I have it. I don't know how long I will have this job and the ability to travel like I have been. I have to remember that and make the most of the time. It may feel like I am just back for the same old gig, but I need to remember there is always something new and exciting out there if I look hard enough to find it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment