Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Testing and Education

Whether in the U.A.E. or the good old U.S.A, testing is a reality that you cannot escape no matter where you teach. Unfortunately, one of the most reliable ways to see if your students have learned anything is through testing.

One of the positives with the program here in Abu Dhabi is the lack of testing. As we approach the EMSA test, it is hard to keep this in mind, but as I sat down to write I realized I have not wrote a single test for my students. They have had quizzes here or there, but in the end their grade is comprised of various tasks. These tasks test their reading, writing, and speaking skills. They challenge the students and allow for results without having to put a testing label on it.

However, you cannot completely escape testing. As I said, it is one of the most reliable--sometimes. With testing, comes rules and regulations on how to administer the test. Today, as I sat in a meeting about the upcoming exams, I could have sworn that I was back in Cumberland, VA listening to the information about testing procedures on the SOL's. The information and the mode of delivery is the same. The only difference being the translation into Arabic. It was definitely one of those moments where I was reminded that education at its foundation is the same no matter where you teach. It has one goal, to see children succeed. The methods and modes of getting them there may be different, but in the end they are not as different as they appear.

The testing preparation, has also shed light on some of the culture here. Pressure, everyone's motivating factor to get in shape, study for the quiz, etc. America knows how to pressure people, but they have nothing on the culture here. There are days that I wish I had a stress monitor on each student in my class. Whether it is because they are women and must work harder to achieve things in life, or because it is just the trend toward education, these students are under a lot of pressure to succeed. Now when I say succeed, I don't mean "B"s. A 99% is just good. Anything lower is a problem, especially for seniors. For those of you who thought getting into college in America was difficult, listen to this:

Student grades are looked at strictly as numbers. No A, B, C stuff here. It is all about whether it is a 99% or 95%. Those four points can decide whether they study the field they want to in college. Sometimes it can even mean whether they get in. There is no choosing your major, your grades decide for you. Then you might have a choice between a few in a certain field. Before you even think about getting to college you are set on a track, arts or science, this track determines the course you will take and the types of schools you can attend after secondary school is completed. If that wasn't enough, you have national tests that determine whether you have to pay for junior college before heading to a real college. If you do not score high enough you do not even have the choice of applying to college. You must take at least a year at junior college.

I don't know about you, but I feel a lot less pressure towards the college system in America. Yes, there is a lot of competition and things are getting extremely difficult, but comparatively, I think there is a lot we take for granted. Sure you may not always get into your top choice, or get the class schedule you wanted, but at least you have a choice. You can study what you want, take the classes you want as long as you are accepted that is all that matters.

The students here feel this pressure daily. They work hard, and even in classes of their native tongue, struggle to learn all the information they need. I sometimes wonder how much they really take with them in the end. With all the pressure and expectations put on these students by themselves, friends, family, and culture - - - how to we ensure success without destroying individuality? All we can do is continue to give them the tools they need, encourage their creativity, and hope that by giving them the tools they can build the future. 

1 comment: