Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Little Things

There is so much that I know I took for granted living in America. I knew where to shop for the best clothes, shoes, bras . . .

The funny thing about it, I don't ever remember learning these things. One day, I just knew. You ask friends, you just go and check it out, or the countless commercials draw you in. Whether it is the fact that I cannot understand the commercials, or that the same products are not available, I don't know, but shopping can sometimes be an adventure of sorts.

First of all, I have never done this much research on malls and stores before heading out to go shopping. I have read the description of countless stores trying to find the one with the description that appealed the most.  With suggestions  from our Arabic counterparts, which is an interesting task in itself, Judy and I headed out on Friday in and attempt to find a store that would have what we needed-- bras.

After nailing down where were going, we took the two hour drive into the heart of Abu Dhabi. First stop Al Whadha Mall. First store, did not even have a tape measure. Strike one. Next store catered only to teens so they did not have a bust size large enough. Strike two. Strike three, came quickly after strike two fast and looking exactly the same as the previous strike. Needless to say, that mall was useless. We found sizes that seemed unnatural, but nothing that would have worked for the average woman. We were started to get worried that we would go home empty handed, but with a few suggestions from the saleswomen and another mall to check out, we headed back out.

Our next step Khalidiyah Mall was much more successful. After a delicious Mexican lunch, we were revived and ready to tackle the next store. I must here make a shout out to the person who thought of making a bra extender. Not the biggest confidence boost, but a life saver in my case. This little piece of stretchy material with extra clasps allowed me to be able to leave the mall with new bras I would have not been able to wear otherwise. Truly a great invention.

After finding bras, our spirits were uplifted and we roamed the stores for a while. I got a few tops, a beach dress, and other odds and ends. Overall, it was a successful trip. Four malls later, and some careful navigation of the back streets of Abu Dhabi, we came home with a car full of goodies. It was a tiring day of shopping, but fun all the same.

There are some conveniences of American life that you just don't think about until the issue arises. At least if I stick around for a while, I know where to go first next time. It may not have been easy, but the good things in life never are.  

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found some somewhere. The closest I got was a bra at Marks and Spencer. But after I wore it about 3 times (after a welt under by breast from the underwire and it completely stretching out) I gave up out. More power to you!!

    ReplyDelete