Welcome to My Blog!

I hope you enjoy hearing of my adventures and travels as I live and work in Abu Dhabi and venture to other parts of the world.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The End is Near, but Not Close Enough

As usual the end of the school year is seeming to take longer than the rest of the year combined. Whether it is utter exhaustion, rising heat, or anticipation of trips abroad, the time seems to have slowed to a crawl. What adds to this frustration is an unnecessary month of time add to the school calendar after the students have left.

Most of the changes to the ADEC curriculum and policies have come from Western practices. However, one thing that they have come up with all on there own to torture us with, is a month  spent stuck at school once it is officially out. We all hope that they will let us out earlier, but in the end we have already bought the plane tickets home and would be stuck in the blistering heat of the UAE in July either way.

It isn't just the sheer amount of time that seems ridiculous to me, but the fact that it is the peek of summer in this part of the world. It is the time where shoes melt on the sidewalk, and power grids are dangerous close to shutdown. None of us has been told what the month will be used for, but considering the staff is already brain dead and we still have a few weeks left, anything done during this time would not be productive. We all know this and yet . . . as we have been told thus far--"You are expected to work until July 13th."

I know that I should try to find a bright side in all of this, and hope for the best in the end . . . that isn't working. I read messages of friends already done with their school years and I look at my calendar and wonder why I am still working my butt off. I know that in the end I will survive this. It will somehow make me stronger or some mumbo-jumbo like that, but for now I am just going to whine a little bit to help get me through each day and hope that times moves just a little quicker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment